Window Assignment

This week for my photography class I was asked to take photos with light only from a window. I couldn't find a human model, so Toni was forced to be my subject.  While these aren't my favorite in terms of thinking they are the best portraits I took, these all show quite different uses of the light and have dramatically different moods.

I like the motion blur.  I feel like it captures an action, not just a moment.  I also just love how the light catches on her whiskers.


She almost looks like she is about to cry here, I think the sun was in her eyes and making them water a bit.  If she were human, I would imagine that this was a scene of someone forlornly looking out of a window, wondering where exactly her life went wrong.  I also really love how the light makes her ears look so bright and red.














There is something very sinister about this photo.  I think it is because her eyes are black and her position is overlording.  I imagine that this is the picture taken before she presses the "send the nukes" button, or she is looking down at a mouse she just murdered.

I took a lot of pictures where Toni was almost entirely in shadow and I used the light to highlight the texture of her fur.  I really just love using the light to backlight the subject, it gives them such an angelic look, makes the mood so serene.

Doug had mentioned trying to use the light to cast interesting shapes on the subject's face, or to capture different features.  I felt like this photo does a good job of doing that.  I again just love how her whiskers pick up the light and also the color of her ears.  This photo also captures a bit more personality/motion than some of the others.


While this picture (at a different window) doesn't exactly use light in the most interesting way, I felt it told more of a story, or captured more of an emotion than any other picture I took this week.  Considering this class is supposed to be "documentary photography" I thought I'd include it.


Comments

Popular Posts